Wednesday, August 18, 2010

First Day Back and Good Reading!

Today was my first day back to work after a quick summer break. It seems that the longer I have been teaching, the faster my summers go by. Today went pretty smoothly, meetings and workshops all day. We have a lot of new teachers on the sixth grade hallway, so that involves getting to know new people. Luckily, my team is staying the same. I am on a two man team where I teach Language Arts and Science while my teammate teaches Math and Social Studies. We have been together for three years now so things are pretty easy. My room is pretty much together and somewhat organized. We did receive a surprise today. Our PTSA gave all the teachers a $50 Walmart gift card to us for teacher supplies. That was AWESOME! I feel like I always spend a fortune at the beginning of a school year so that will definitely help. All in all, good first day back!

I heard from my case worker today Michelle, she sent Bryan and I some books and resources that we could read while we are waiting. I wanted to share those with you just in case anyone else is interested.

You Can Adopt by Susan Caughman and Isolde Motley

Focus on the Family's Handbook on Thriving as an Adoptive Family by David Sanford (CAS now gives these out at their conferences so you may already have this, but if not, it has some good real-life stories, etc.)

Raising Adopted Children by Lois Melina


Adoptive Families magazine posts their prior issues and recommended/reader favorite articles on their website, and they have a list of books chosen by their editors as ones they recommend. (www.adoptivefamilies.com/books.php)


The Happiest Baby on the Block is a good book to learn about ways to comfort your baby (crying can be very stressful for everyone!). You'll feel more confident once you bring the baby home.

Thanks again Michelle for the wonderful resources!

No comments:

Post a Comment