Monday, May 23, 2011

Our Story...

On May 5, 2011 my cell phone rang at school around 3:15. It was our adoption agency.  They informed me that there was a birthmother that wanted to meet us the next day.  Of course, Bryan and I said yes.  I had waited for that moment for so long!  That night, I baked cookies and put together a photo album full of pictures of our nursery to share with her.  Needless to say, we did not sleep that much that night.  We were so excited!

The next day, we had plans to meet around lunchtime.  There is no way to describe the emotions that Bryan and I were feeling on the way there.  When we arrived, Gretchen and Doris from the agency met us first.  They gave us a little bit of info and then waited on her to show.  When our birthmother arrived, we hugged and she started to cry.  She was so sweet!  We talked for about two hours and she had already told us that we were going to be the parents of her son!  I even got to feel him kick while we were at lunch.  Everyone was very comfortable and we really just talked about everything.  The conversation flowed very easily.  The exciting part was that she told us she was due in one week!  

The next week creeps by and Friday morning, May 13, 2011, I was headed to work when I heard my cell phone ring.  It was Bryan.  I could immediately tell that it was time.  She had Will at 5:45 am that morning and the agency was on their way to the hospital.  I turned around and headed back home.  Bryan and I were completely giddy by this point.  We just couldn't wait to get to the hospital to meet our son!  I had to quickly find a sub for school that day because I had not planned on being out.  Thank goodness I work with some wonderful people who helped me take care of my kids.

When we arrived at the hospital, we met up with Doris and Gretchen and went inside.  Will was inside the nursery being fed and checked out.  We got to see him through the nursery window and I was immediately in love!  He was perfect and I just couldn't wait to get my hands on him.  The hospital treated us so great!  They assigned us a hospital room so that we could stay with Will.  Bryan and I were fortunate enough to spend a few moments with our birthmother. It was very difficult to express our emotions into words.  She was amazing and so strong!  I really admire her and pray for her daily! 

That weekend we stayed in the hospital with Will.  Bryan ran home and got us a change of clothes and some supplies.  Of course, I was not leaving my baby.  I slept in the bed at night and poor Bryan slept in the chair in the room.  We really had a wonderful hospital experience!

Sunday morning, we were discharged around 10:00 and headed home. 
That's our adoption story.  Bryan and I could not have asked for a more perfect experience!


6 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!! I know you are just eating Will up. My heart is bursting with joy for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO THRILLED FOR YOU STACY AND BRYAN! YOU ARE WONDERFUL PARENTS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it better than you even imagined? When it happens, it just all makes sense and is totally worth everything you went through to get there. Very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could remember how I came across your blog- We do not know each other but have adoption in common! What an encouragement to read your story- Thank you so much for sharing- Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to hear you are finally parents. Enjoy your beautiful blessing. And keep praying for that birthmomma. She will need it.

    If I could share a piece of advice from the 'other side', it would be that your birthmom will be sad, and grieve. Please extend grace to her.

    But remember, you are not the reason for her grief. You can still be happy with your son. That is why we choose adoption. So our child can experience the joy and love of two parents whose world revolves around that child.

    So happy for you and Bryan. Breathe in the sweet baby smell for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet, sweet story! I'm so happy for you! Enjoy every moment! It will go by so fast!

    ReplyDelete