Sunday, May 6, 2012

Meeting Will's Birthmother & Water Fun

A year ago today, we met Will's birthmother.  I truly believe that could have been the most nervous I have ever been.  We met at a mall's food court.  When we got there, Doris & Gretchen from the agency were there and we had time to talk to them first.  I will never forget, Bryan asked Gretchen how pregnant is she and Gretchen said "Oh, she is very pregnant!"  Little did we know, she was due in a week!  When she walked in, we all hugged each other and immediately the nervousness went away.  She looked amazing to be due any time!  She told us that she liked our photo book and we looked like we had a lot of fun which is what she wanted for her baby.  I had the opportunity to feel Will kick in her belly and she said he was responding to his parent's voices.  I took her some chocolate cookies and some pictures of Will's nursery which she loved.  We talked for about two hours and learned a lot about her and her family.  We shared a lot about us too.  She loved to talk and laugh!  She asked us what name we had picked out for a boy, when we told her she said she loved it because it was a traditional family name.  We ate chinese food and just enjoyed our meeting and getting to know each other. Throughout the whole meeting, she kept referring to us as his parents and before we left, she called him Will.  When it was time to go, we hugged some more and felt good about this experience.  We felt like she was committed to her decision and all we had to do was wait for her to go into labor.

Obviously you know the rest of the story.

We do not see her or have direct contact with her but we are constantly praying for her.  We talk about her and always will because we want Will to know about her and our adoption experience.  Our adoption is considered semi-open because I do write letters to Will's birthmother once a month and send her some pictures showing how Will is growing up.  I send them to the agency and the agency sends them to her.  I do know for a fact that she receives her letters and pics and loves them!  This makes me so happy because I want her to know that Will is loved beyond words and is living a wonderful life with Bryan and I.  Also, on holidays I love to buy her a little gift and send along with my package just to let her know that we are thinking of her and that we always wish her the best. 

Most people can not relate to our experience but I feel like we are so lucky to have gone through this journey.  Meeting Will's birthmother was amazing and very surreal in the moment.  Yes, it was weird to feel her belly and talk to her like everything was normal but it is our journey and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.  I love the fact that we had the opportunity to meet her and talk to her.  Bryan and I will always have those memories and it is something that we can share with Will when he gets older.  

Now for today...Bryan was washing my car so I took Will outside and we ended up playing in the water. Will loved it!



I brought a bowl outside and filled it with water.  He splashed in it, tried to drink it, and spilled it everywhere.  He had a blast!










 Bryan spraying a mist on him!


Fun day outside!

4 comments:

  1. I totally understand the nervousness you felt when you were meeting the birthmom of your future child. I'm pretty sure I thought I would throw up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story. It is very surreal in that moment. Love the water pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dropping by to say Hi from a fellow NC blogger! Love to read adoption stories, I was adopted :)

    ReplyDelete