Saturday, September 8, 2012

Goodbye Mawmaw

This week my grandmother lost her battle with brain cancer.  She passed away Wednesday afternoon.  Her battle with cancer took away her quality of life and she spent the last month of her life at a Hospice facility.  They took very good care of her.  She was not in any pain and passed away very peacefully.  Today was her church services and they were very nice.  So many people came out to show their respects to my grandmother.  She was loved by so many people.  She was a very active member of our church and that was evident today.  She had so many lasting friendships and relationships with so many people. 


Mawmaw and Pawpaw had been married for 63 years! They have always attended the same church in our small town and have the same friends from when they were younger. 


The granddaughters!


Easter this year.


I am so glad that Mawmaw got to spend some time with Will.  When we got Will, she came over regularly and visited with us.  I will never forget that one time she came over and Will was sleeping with a knit cap on.  Well, she said she had never heard of a baby wearing a cap before and thought that was just the strangest thing.  I told her that Will loved his caps when he was sleeping.  Bryan and I just laughed!!
When she got sick, Will always cheered her up.


She was able to come to Will's first birthday party.


I will miss so many things about Mawmaw.  She was an amazing cook.  She was famous for cube steak & gravy with rice, cheese wafers (only at Christmas time), chocolate sheet cake, and I could go on and on. Every year for my birthday, she made me a chocolate poundcake with chocolate icing.  She would even fill up the middle hole with chocolate and it was amazing.  I bet that cake weighed 10 lbs!  

Mawmaw & Pawpaw use to take me camping every summer.  We would spend a week at the beach camping and I remember eating tomato sandwiches for lunch and riding bikes. They loved camping and I always had a friend there with me Megan who was with her grandparents, Pat & CJ.  We use to have so much fun! 

I use to ride the school bus to Mawmaw's house everyday after school.  She would give me a pack of cheese crackers and a Coke.  She would let me eat my snack in the living room and watch Scooby Doo.  Then we would go to the nursing home and visit my great-grandmother and the "old" people.    

I have so many wonderful memories of my grandmother.  She always made me laugh and was such a Godly woman.  I was so lucky to have her for my grandmother and I know that she is in a better place.

Please keep our family in your prayers.

Her favorite bible verse:

Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go,
And when he is old he will not depart from it.










 


3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. Thankful for the hope even through grief that you have, knowing she is at peace. What a precious tribute you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss. Grandmothers are such special people! Praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet, sweet post. Praying for you and your family during this time!

    ReplyDelete