Thursday, April 28, 2011

Adoption To-Do List

Going through my brain right now is a few things that I still need to do before "the call."   Not sure why but I feel like I need to get them done sooner than later.

The list includes:

1.  Get a pediatrician.  This is kinda hard for me because I obviously don't have any kids and can only go by who others recommend.  I totally trust my friends and family but I wonder if I should go meet with them or just call and say "Hey, do you want to be my new baby's doctor?"

2.  Buy coming home outfit(s).  The agency likes for us to have a brand new outfit with the tags still on them to bring home the baby in from the hospital. I have lots of cute outfits already but of course I cut the tags and washed them.  Plus they are not the "special" outfits I want them to be.  So I am thinking I need to go shopping and I think I will just go ahead and buy a boys and girls outfit.  Which ever one I don't use, I can either return or use for a gift.  This task is also difficult because I wonder if I should buy newborn sizes or 0-3 months because you know some babies skip the newborn size altogether.  What do you think?

3.  Finish nursery closet.  Poor Baby Pruitt doesn't really have a closet right now.  There's a door and some empty space but no clothing rod or shelves or anything.  I would really like to get this organized before Baby Pruitt's arrival.  

I am sure there are so many other things that we need to do but these are my main concerns right now.  Is there anything else that my mommy friends recommend I do?  I would love to hear your ideas.  Thanks!

Prayer Request
My friend, Angela's grandfather passed away Wednesday and I would love for all of you to keep her family in your prayers as they go through this difficult time.  

5 comments:

  1. Pick out names :-) We had ours picked out but ended up having Hannah's birtparents help us name her... and she really is a 'Hannah' but it was so fun to pick out names!

    And buy diapers and wipes.... lots and lots of them! You won't regret it and you'll always be able to use them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Buy diapers and wipes when you see them on sale. We really love Target's diapers and have lots of friends that have enjoyed them too! I can't wait to meet Baby Pruitt. Love keeping up with everything you're doing to prepare! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went with newborn sizes for our coming home outfits (we also had a boy and a girl one, the boy one will be a gift for someone now!). About the pediatrician, most practices have a "meet the doc" night in which expecting and new parents can come hear about the practice, get a tour of the office, etc. Was very helpful when we were expecting our first baby! I did not regret for one moment all the preparations we made ahead of time for our Peanut. With a 4-hour notice, it was great that we had everything pretty much ready. I would also suggest that you go ahead and pack a diaper bag with everything you will want for bringing baby home from hospital. So excited just thinking about your baby-to-be!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why do your coming home outfits have to have the tag still in them? Don't they need to be washed first? Weird. I would say go with newborn size. Unless your baby is a 10 pounder, 0-3 month will still be too big. I asked for recommendations from friends about a pediatrician so I had an idea of which clinic I wanted to use. Definitely have your names ready (our birthmom wanted to know what we had picked out when we met her). If you will be having newborn photos made, decide who to use and touch base with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am praying so hard that you're going to get that call soon! We also stocked up on diapers and wipes. I clip coupons for them and waited until they went on sale. We haven't had to buy any since Garrett's been home and since he drinks soy formula, that's been a huge savings! We didn't buy the coming home outfits until we got the call but we bought newborn (he was 7-10 and 21 in and it was still really big on him). Also, if you don't have a carseat, I would either buy one or do your research on the one that you want. We had to make a rushed decision on one and while I do love it, we had to order a separate base from another company because they don't sell them in the stores anymore. Also, gender neutral or plain onesies will become your friends :) We had several of those as well. As for the pediatrician, we asked around and chose our's and then just called them to make sure they were taking new clients. I know some around here will make you take a "new parents" class. Praying hard for you!

    ReplyDelete