Friday, January 14, 2011

Book Talk

I wanted to share with you a book.
 Adoption is a Family Affair.  
By:  Patricia Irwin Johnston

I bought this book for our parents for Christmas because our agency recommended it for family members.  I wanted to read it before I gave it to them but I ran out of time.  So my mom finished it and passed it to me.  I thought the book gave really good practical information for the supporting families of couples who are adopting.  The author covers topics like how adoption works, myths and facts about adoption, the right and wrong things to say, and how to help prepare. One part I thought to be helpful was some things for the grandparents to do when we bring the baby home (prepare dinners, help with laundry, and even grocery shopping).  It is not a really long book, and I would consider it an easy read.  After reading the book, my mom actually called and apologized for a small thing that she would sometimes say that the book recommends not to say to a couple who is adopting.  It wasn't anything offensive to me but was just not the main focus of the adoption process.  She said she really enjoyed it and is glad that she read it!  
Enjoy!!!


1 comment:

  1. I read that one while we were waiting for our home study to be approved! I thought it had some good, common sense-type info in there for families, but the kind of info that is not common sense if you are not used to adoption, adoption language, etc. Was mortified to see myself (in the past, of course) in some of those "do nots". :) If you have not read Adopted for Life yet, I would highly recommend it. I gave that one to our parents and siblings for Christmas because I wanted them to understand our view of biblical adoption, why we were in this process, etc. So glad for some good written resources!

    ReplyDelete